Saturday, February 25, 2006

Three Quick Responses on the 1892 Michigan-Wisonsin League from Karl Knickrehm

Three Quick Responses on the 1892 Michigan-Wisconsin League from Karl Knickrehm


Carlos,

What year and what is the name of the league that you are looking for? Minor League Stars vol. 1 has George Hogriever playing for Oshkosh of the Michigan-Wisconsin League in 1892. Minor League Stars vol. 2 has Samuel LaRoque playing for Green Bay of the Wisconsin State League in 1891 and Minor League Stars vol. 3 has Fred Betts
playing for Menominee of the Michigan State League in 1892. At first glance they appear to be 3 different leagues in 2 different years. Are they the same league for both years? I am going to check in my online resources to see if I can access anything....(Shameless plug!! My son's movie In Absentia will be shown at the Egyptian Theater in
Hollywood as part of the Golden Star Short Fest tomorrow at bout 4:00
p.m. and Saturday around 2:00 p.m.)

Karl

Carlos,

I have access to the Daily Northwestern fro Oshkosh for 1892. I will try to see what I can find. I did find a box score for the Aug. 14, 1892 game between Oshkosh and Menominee.

Karl

Carlos,

The league in question was called the Michigan-Wisconsin League. Both Fred Betts and George Hogriever played in that league in 1892. I found them playing against each other in one of the few box scores that I could find. The final standings as published on 10/1/1892 in the Daily Northwestern are as follows:

Green Bay   29-16
Marisette     26-20
Menominee  23-25
Oshkosh      16-33

The paper reported that Oshkosh has disbanded on Sept. 24, but somehow the team kept playing. The league appears to have finally died when Menominee disbanded on Oct. 2.

Karl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home