Friday, December 30, 2005

Taking the Next Three Day Off

Taking the Next Three Days Off

I will be taking a college football vacation for the next three days.  When I return, I will have a number of things that I have to get to, including more material sent to me by David Barker, and a revision and additional work on Jay Hughes that was researched by Alan O’Connor that I just haven’t been able to get to because of my series on early California Baseball.

This morning I posted the note from Bill Williamson, and rushed out of the house to do a series of errands.  One of the thing I wanted to mention is the 1910 and 1911 Central California League.  The standings that appeared in The Minor League Encyclopedia were compiled by a researcher in Detroit named Ed Hasse, I believe.  Before he died, my friend Larry Zuckerman tried to verify the standings when he was compiling his book on California ballparks (as yet unpublished), and found that no matter how many papers he searched he couldn’t come up with the same standings that Hasse did.  So he called up Hasse to find out his sources.  According to Larry, Hasse gave him the names of newspapers that Larry was unable to find either at the State Library or at Berkeley.  Now I don’t know if Ed Hasse was just blowing Larry off, or invented the standings out of whole cloth.  Minor league baseball researchers are a strange breed in some cases.  It should be interesting to see what Bill Williamson comes up with in the end.  These two Central California Leagues seasons I have been placing on the back burner for some time.  Two years ago, when I put together the 1910 and 1911 San Joaquin Valley League season, I drove around that small section of the Central Valley in the summer heat, adding some 2,500 miles on the car.  The reason I put the Central Cal League on the back burner is because nobody in their right mind would want to drive that many miles around the East Bay with traffic the way it is today.

See’ya in a few days!  (Unless I get bored in the mean time…)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home